Find out the most common and frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Protected&Proud and the contraception services in your area.
This is the one question that lots of people, especially young people, worry about the most.
- The law in New Zealand says that you can buy condoms at any age.
- The law also says you have the right to have access to contraceptives at any age. This includes access to Fit & Forget contraceptives plus other contraceptives you may have read about on this website.
- Your nurse or doctor will want to make sure that you are not at risk and that you understand what you’re doing. If they are concerned that someone could harm you, you could harm someone else, or you could harm yourself – they may need to tell someone else in order to help you better, but they should always try to inform you first.
- When you use a health or disability service in New Zealand, you have the protection of a Code of Rights. Visit The Health & Disability Commissioner for more information.
There are many methods of contraception available that once given can work for a number of weeks or even years! These methods are often referred to as long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) or Fit & Forget.
Depending upon the type of method used, this will determine how often it will need to be renewed.
- Implant (Jadelle) – lasts up to five years
- Hormonal IUD (Mirena / Jaydess) – lasts from 3-5 years depending on the type
- Non-Hormonal IUD (Copper) – lasts up to ten years depending on the type.
False. Healthcare professionals are legally allowed to provide contraceptive advice and treatment to young people under the age of 16 without parental consent. This includes Fit & Forget methods (e.g. Implant, IUDs) as well as all other contraceptives.
Mostly all contraception can be highly effective at preventing pregnancy with “perfect use” – when it is used correctly absolutely all the time, every time. However, what typically happens is that real life can get in the way of effectiveness. For example, you may forget to take your pill one day, or be a few days late for an injection, or the condom may split, etc. This is what we call “typical use”. The most effective forms of contraception are Fit & Forget methods because it takes away the need to do something every time you have sex, or every day, or every few months.
However, many contraceptive methods do not protect again STIs so use condoms as well!
If you live in Te Moana a Toi (Bay of Plenty) you can access to some contraception services for free that are funded by the Ministry of Health under this agreement**. Make sure to check what contraception services are included in the FAQ below.
You must be able to select any ONE from the criteria below:
- Under 26 years old;
- or Māori or Pacific;
- or live in a quintile 5 area;
- or hold a community services card (CSC);
- or service user of Mental Health & Addiction Services;
- or at high risk of unplanned pregnancy and poor health and social outcomes.
If you are unsure, ask your service provider to see if you are eligible to access funding. If you are not eligible, fees will be determined by the provider.
**ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN DEFINED BY THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH. ELIGIBILITY AND FEES WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE PROVIDER AND MAY VARY AT THE DISCRETION OF THE PROVIDER. PLEASE ENSURE TO ASK YOUR PROVIDER PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT.
The Ministry of Health are funding specific contraception services for FREE* for a range of wāhine to help improve access to the most effective forms of contraception – Implants and IUDs. This is in addition to other services that are available in the community through Sexual Health Clinics and Family Planning.
Services that are covered under this agreement and free of charge to wāhine, includes:
- FREE Contraception consultation with a trained healthcare professional to discuss all contraception options for you to choose the best option for you
- FREE Appointment time to insert and/or remove either an Implant or IUD device (this may vary depending on the contraception and/or the provider)
- NO costs for either the Implant or IUD device
*SERVICES AND FEES MAY VARY AT THE DISCRETION OF THE PROVIDER. PLEASE ENSURE TO ASK YOUR PROVIDER.