The Pill - Combined | Progesterone Only
There are two types of contraceptive pill. The Combined Pill contains two hormones similar to those produced naturally by the body; progestogen and oestrogen. The Progestogen Only Pill, also known as the “mini pill” contains only progestogen.
Key Facts about the Pill
Progesterone Only Pill
Pros & cons
- The pill is up to 99% effective when taken correctly.
- It doesn’t interrupt sex.
- There is no evidence that it causes additional weight gain.
- It does not protect you from STIs.
- There can be temporary side effects from the pill.
- You will need to take a pill every day.
- You will need to see a nurse or doctor for check ups and a prescription.
- See the pros and cons tab for more detail on each pill option.
Where to get it
The pill needs to be given by a doctor, midwife or nurse who has been specially trained. There may be a cost for the appointment and prescription. Please check with your doctor, midwife or nurse. Click here to find your nearest service.
*See Terms & Conditions.
How It Works
Pros & Cons
Page last updated: 23 January 2020. Reviewed for clinical accuracy.